Thursday, February 7, 2008

Fiction That's Realer Than the Real Thing

How do you fill your book with descriptions and characters that are so vivid, that the reader is utterly convinced in their reality? Do you stick to what you know is true? No way! You are a writer! You are not bound by those rules! Nonetheless, there are a few ways to get the facts.

  1. Experience: I swam with sharks!

  2. Observation: I watched someone swim with sharks.

  3. Conversation: I heard someone talking about swimming with sharks.

  4. Imagination: I imagined swimming with sharks.

  5. Research: I read about swimming with sharks.

Often you'll hear that experience is the most valuable, but I don't believe that. Doing something is no guarantee you can convey the feeling in writing. Get your facts however you choose, (Read my post "Using Your Senses" for tips) and then let your imagination take over.

No comments:

The how and the why of writing fiction

It's easier and harder than you imagine