Monday, February 11, 2008

Can You Guess Who Wrote These Endings?

I can't wait to write the end to my book--mostly because that means I will be at the end and and ready for those heady few days before revision sets in. I know it's a way down the road for most of us, but let's think about that last line. It's your big chance to package your theme in a shiny prose package. Consider writing it first. Here are a few examples, culled randomly from my shelves. Can you guess who wrote them? I'll tell you the answers in my next blog. Then we'll get down to the business of how to write one.

1) "She kisses his sleeping back and falls asleep."

2) "Write to me, she said. Write to me. I have written."

3)"Ten minutes after we were airborne a woman asked me for my autograph."

4)"And the truth of it had, with this force after a moment, so strangely lighted his eyes that, as for pity or dread of them, she buried her own in his breast."

5) "But Farid was still standing on the same lonely road. In the wrong world."

6) "Their heavy shots had splashed into him, and they had followed all the way, firing as they did, with that contagious passion peculiar to hunters."

7)"Whatever we had missed, we possessed together the precious, the incommunicable past."

8) "She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches, with sad eyes, the slow dance of the infinite stars."

You know, you're right. That's too hard. Here are your choices: James Salter, Neil Gaiman, Willa Cather, William Gibson, Don Delillo, Henry James, John Banville and Cornelia Funke. It's probably still too obscure, but aren't those great lines?

No comments:

The how and the why of writing fiction

It's easier and harder than you imagine